Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Just keep swimming!


Summer summer summertiiiiiime! 

'Tis the season for all things outdoorsy and swim lessons are added to the mix. Since we swim in our friends' pool regularly in the summer (Thanks, Flitts!), I thought it was warranted that Gabby learn some water safety and get comfortable being out of my arms in the pool. Besides, since I can barely swim to save myself, she's not in the best hands with me in the pool anyway. 

So, I signed us up for a Mommy and Me baby swim class so we could get us some skills. I cannot believe how much fun it is and how brave and awesome my little girl is! She is one of FEW kids in this class who laughs, smiles, tries to impress the teachers, is so proud of herself and confident... It makes me want to cry. 

The class is given at the town pool and is for kids aged 1-3. The class is a half hour once a week for six weeks and consists of skills-building while singing songs. Most of the time is spent acclimating the kids to the water, making them comfortable on their stomach/back, using a kick board, etc. 

Today we had our second lesson and I was actually hoping class would be cancelled because of the recent thunderstorms. The high temperature today was only 73. Hardly swimming weather. The water was absolutely frigid. We sat at the edge of the pool and dipped our feet in the water, waiting for the other families to arrive. Gabby whined, "I want Mommy" for a good long time. Then it was time to enter the pool. I didn't want to do it. There is no bigger baby about cold water than me. The toddlers screaming for a full half hour? It was warranted! The water was ice! But that Gabby... She never even complained. She shivered, her lips turned blue, she laughed and gasped at the cold, but she was in her glory. Kicking and splashing like it was what she was born to do. 

I know she's my kid, so obviously she is perfect and advanced at everything but, come on... Could she be any more awesome?!? 

I know this post is super braggy, but I'm shocked my shy clinger is excelling at a group activity. Gimme a break!

3 comments:

  1. Yay Gabby!!! I'm so glad she's acclimating well to swimming :D

    She could be the next generation of Olympic swimmers... or at least enjoy watching them! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH... and keep bragging. Your girls are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sham! I had to beg her to get out of that ice cold water yesterday. She is a nut!

    ReplyDelete